Patrick SpellmanPartner firstname.lastname@example.org 515-465-5326 LinkedIn Profile
Patrick Spellman, Sr. entered the practice of law in Perry, Iowa, with his father and brothers in 1974 after graduating from Creighton University Law School at the age of twenty two. His practice includes the areas of personal Injury, victims of sexual abuse, workers' compensation, probate, decedent's estates, and conservatorships.
His work and representation were significant factors in the Iowa Supreme Court ruling applying the Discovery Rule to state tort claims of child victims of sexual abuse and in the codification of the application of the Discovery Rule and extension of the statute of limitations for child victims of sexual abuse. See Iowa Code Section 614.8A and Callahan v. State of Iowa, 464 N.W.2d 268, 65 Ed. Law Rep. 174, 12 A.L.R.5th 1060, applying Discovery Rule to minor’s claim under Iowa Tort Claims Act.
Mr. Spellman served as Vice-President and on the Board of Directors of the Association of Trial Lawyers of Iowa (Iowa Association for Justice) and as Chairman of Iowa Lawpac and the HELP Trust (Justice for All Pac).
Patrick Spellman, Sr. has been married to Kassie Spellman for 40 years. They have five children, two of whom are attorneys practicing in Iowa. Mr. Spellman is part of a family, which, over 73 years, has included over 35 lawyers in 3 generations, related by consanguinity. He and his wife are the proud grandparents of eight grandchildren. In his free time Mr. Spellman enjoys spending time with his children and grandchildren, traveling reading and walking. Mr. Spellman is a Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Mr. Spellman received his Juris Doctor Degree from Creighton University School of Law in 1973 and is admitted to practice in all Iowa Courts, U.S. District Courts in Iowa, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
Cases and Statutes
Callahan v. State of Iowa, 464 N.W.2d 268, 65 Ed. Law Rep. 174, 12 A.L.R.5th 1060, applying Discovery Rule to minor’s claim under Iowa Tort Claim Act.
Iowa Code 614.8A Damages for child sexual abuse - time limitation. Contributor to drafting of statute applying Discovery Rule to child's claim of sexual abuse and extending statute of limitations for child's claim.
Past and current professional associations and memberships:
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Vice-President and Board Member of Association of Trial Lawyers of Iowa ( Iowa Association for Justice)
- President of Dallas County Bar Association
- Chairman and Board Member of HELP Trust Political Action Committee
- Chairman and Board Member of Iowa State Bar Association LAWPAC Political Action Committee
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Rotary International, President of Perry, Iowa chapter
Admitted to bar:
- 1974, Iowa
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska - Juris Doctor Degree, 1973
- Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa, 1969 - 1971
- United States Supreme Court
- State of Iowa Courts
- United States District Court, Northern District of Iowa
- United States District Court, Southern District of Iowa
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit